Thursday, December 25, 2008

Two UCG pastors interviewed on the radio

Yesterday I learned that BBC Radio interviewed Peter Hawkins on Monday, December 22, as part of a feature on Christmas. Mr. Hawkins is UCG's pastor in London.

Later that day, Victor Kubik was interviewed by KXLY in Spokane, Washington, on the topic of "Today's Toys". Mr. Kubik is UCG's pastor for Lafayette, Indiana, as well as for Eastern and Northern Europe.

Today I received a call from radio station KXLY 920 in Spokane, Washington. They wanted to interview me later in the day on a popular local talk show called Newscope hosted by Mike Fitzsimmons. It was during 3-6 PM drive time and I would be on right after Sean Hannity.

Mike Fitzsimmons had Googled “Today’s Toys.” I wrote an article eleven years ago for the Good News entitled “Today’s Toys: Child’s Play or Something Else?” It came to the top of the Google heap and he wanted to interview the author. His secretary called the Home Office who gave them my phone number. They said that they wanted to do two 15 minute segments at 3:00 PM Pacific time.
....
Mike Fitzsimmons was most complimentary about the content of the article and the Good News magazine. He advised readers to get their own copy by Googling “Today’s Toys” which will get them the article and the magazine.

This story illustrates the importance of search engine optimisation (SEO) on the internet today. Last week Mr. Kubik was here in Cincinnati for the Council of Elders meetings which included an update on Aaron Booth's SEO efforts.

I Googled "Today's Toys" and the first two hits were links to Mr. Kubik's article. But what if that hadn't been true? What if it had been the fifth or sixth link? This opportunity may have been lost.

Then a surprise. My brother Eugene who did not know I was going to be on was listening to the program in his car and called in! He somewhat flabbergasted me and I had to ask him to repeat part of his question.

Mike Fitzsimmons commented how the article is even more applicable today than when I wrote it.

After half an hour he asked if I’d be willing to go another segment. This made my interview time 45 minutes. This was an enjoyable experience and hopefully this will bring positive exposure to the Good News and the United Church of God.

Here is the entire story from Vic Kubik. You can read his GN article here.

I could not find the interview on the internet, but Mike Fitzsimmons of KLXY blogged about the topic on Tuesday.

No comments: